Thursday, August 14, 2008

Why am I so lucky?

I talked to a Church friend last night, whose wife is pregnant. He told me that there were complications with their pregnancy and that she had to go in to see a doctor yesterday. Well, in going in to see the doctor they found out that there is something wrong with their son and that he will not live very long after birth.

How did I get so lucky? I have four kids, all healthy, happy, smart and have the world going for them. This couple has wanted to have a child for years, did everything under the sun to get pregnant and when they do get pregnant, have problems with the pregnancy. I pray that they find peace and make the time with their son as happy as they can.

I think that most Americans take things for granted in the world. We think that we will always have food, shelter, clothes, money and kick butt car to drive. I really believe that we are naive in this. Do we really have any idea what being poor is? Do we have any idea on how blessed we are to be here? I think not. I get so ticked at my kids when they leave things laying around the house that most other kids in the world would love to have. They nonchalantly act as if they deserve to have everything that they get, because they are kids. Boy, do they have another thing coming when they get older and realize that they have to work for everything.

I got back to work yesterday and was basically able to get through the mail and check e-mails that I had missed for the last couple of days. I have not done a great job at Customer outreach in the last month or so and it was good to work with my clients and start providing solutions to their needs. I met up with Joe, a friend and client of mine, last night for a couple of beers and talked about work. Joe owns a manufacturing company and is expanding south of the cities. It is good to see that things are working out well for him, his family and business. We talked a little about his need for technology expansion and I will be providing options for him to review in the next week or so. I really enjoy the consulting side of my business, helping people with finding solutions. I also had an opportunity to work with Aaron Booker, a friend from HTG, yesterday. One of the smartest people I know, he helped me figure out how to help a client with their Annual Budget meeting next year. Thanks Aaron for the assist! It's good to have smart people in your corner.

No comments: