Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"Yes, No or Maybe"

I have intended to post this for awhile and jut did not get around to it. I would like to talk about this self created law.

Many sales people simply waste time chasing their tails in the hope of potentially getting a deal. What a mistake this is!

So, in a nutshell. The best response that a potential customer can provide us is a "yes." The second best answer a potential customer can provide us is a "no." Why is that, you say?

Sales is a profession of prioritization. The quicker we are able to make customers provide an answer to our questions, the faster we are able to move onto the next thing. When I have a list of 30-40 things to do in any given day, the last thing I want to do is to call a customer to follow up on a potential deal with them. I am not saying that this is the case with all closes. There are many deals that require follow up as part of the process of closure. I am talking about the deals that all sales people have that are really not closeable. We have to be honest with ourselves to best determine what those deals are.

I had been working on a potential deal for close to a year on a phone system for a Business Association here in town. I kept trying to convince myself that it was worth the time to work the client in the hope that somehow this deal would happen. What a joke! I finally woke up and smelled the coffee. Even someone with almost 20 years of sales experience can do this.

Do yourself a favor. Learn to walk away. You will be a more successful sales person for it.

3 comments:

Sales Guy said...

Isn't that the truth. I have learned to walk from clients. It is very difficult, but in the end it is the best thing to do.
Great blog!

Mike's Blog said...

Thanks JODDDDDDDEY

Stuart R. Crawford said...

I still chase my tail from time to time...however, now it is electronic...gotta send out a newsletter, so why not SPAM them :-)