Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Guatemala


My apologies for not posting anything for quite a while. I was in Guatemala for almost two weeks and spent most of the time since catching up on work and haven't had a chance to write to my Blog.

WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!

I went down there to experience what being poor is and also to assist others in their needs. I was actually surprised by the level of wealth that they have and the help that they provided Rachel and myself. They are not wealthy from a financial standpoint, but are not caught up in the daily grind of life, feeling sorry for themselves, etc. It was certainly a fresh approach to life. As Americans/Canadians (that's for you Stuart), we are sometimes to rushed from thing to thing and also caught up in the materialism of the world. Try taking everything away from yourself and see what happens. You actually become happier. When you have nothing, there is no longer anything to lose. My family and I watched a PBS special a few years ago about two couples that lived on a farm, but had to live as if it was in the 1880's. Guess what happened? The spouses became much closer to each other and improved their overall relationships in life. I know that this isn't a very popular thing to say as a Technology Person, but disconnect. Look around at what God has provided you, the beauty of the world, of your wife, and children and be thankful. Thank the provider of all things and then turn on your electronics. Being connected takes on a much different meaning.

Mike

No comments: